You may have noticed that it was a bit chilly while heading down to Patagonia! I just knew I needed some warm essentials and thankfully I was able to locate and fall in love with Norton and Hodges Scarves. Focusing on conservation and sustainability, these scarves hail from Namibia, Africa and there is a wondefrful story to share. Let me tell you the reasons I fell in love with this company and also the reasons why you need one or maybe two of these scarves in your life.
- Warmth: First thing I look for in a scarf is of course warmth. These scarves seem to provide just the right amount of warmth without feeling suffocating. I love to wear scarves ALL the time and these scarves are absolutely the perfect weight for all seasons.
- Style: Who am I kidding, style is probably number one, but who’s counting… oh that’s right, I am! In any case, I love the style! The colors and the weave on these scarves are perfect. I chose the blue ones (because I always do) and they made my eyes sparkle! My husband would say it was him that made my eyes sparkle, we just won’t let him know it was really the scarf!
- Versatility: I already mentioned that these scarves are great for all different types of weather, but they are also unisex and can work with both men and women. I love my scarves but so does my husband. He wore them every day while we were in South America changing out the different colors (he chose green and beige) to change his look (I of course helped him with that)! It was amazing. I love them for a pop of color and I can’t wait to get some different colors for our trip to Ecuador!
- Sustainability and Empowerment: There is an awesome story behind these scarves! These scarves are made of Wild Kalahari Silk, one of the most sustainable products in Africa and hand spun and dyed by women employed there. They have learned the skill of taking silk and and spinning the scarves (with a foot pedal and no electricity) and then taking the lots and hand dyeing them with natural dyes before weaving them into scarves. Each scarf is different depending on the woman spinning it and the loom. Your scarf will never be the same as any others. It is so amazing to know that this scarf is made for me and no one else. Each woman is employed and is able to utilize the money to provide food, medical care and schooling for their family.
- The company: If what you have heard isn’t enough, I have another reason. The owner, Suzette, is an amazing person who has utilized her talents to not only help others succeed but also to ensure your happiness with the product. I couldn’t be happier with the product or the personal touch Suzette has provided with these scarves.
Here is the link to the scarves for purchase! Know that if you purchase a scarf, not only are you going to have a stellar accessory but also you will be supporting a business empowering women to continue to thrive. Until next time… Cheers! Barb